The tragic multi-vehicle crash that unfolded earlier this week on Highway 87 in Sabine Pass, Texas, has now claimed a fifth life, leaving several families mourning and a community searching for answers. Authorities confirmed that 22-year-old Caleb Burge died from injuries he suffered in the violent collision, deepening the heartbreak surrounding one of the region’s deadliest roadway accidents in recent memory.
According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, the crash occurred around 4 p.m. Monday on Highway 87 in Sabine Pass. Investigators say a Chevrolet Express passenger van was traveling northwest when it crossed into the oncoming lane and collided with a Prevost passenger bus traveling southeast. Moments after the initial impact, an Audi reportedly crashed into the rear of the bus, creating a devastating chain-reaction collision involving all three vehicles.
Officials said four people were pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities identified them as 28-year-old Cesar Rojas of Baytown, who was driving the van, along with passengers Emmanuel Reynosa Rivas, 27, Angel Dominguez, 28, and Osvaldo Alvarez, 37. Caleb Burge, who had been hospitalized in critical condition at Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital, later died from his injuries, raising the death toll to five.
Several other individuals suffered injuries during the crash and were transported to area hospitals for treatment. Authorities said some victims have since been released, while others remain hospitalized. Among those injured were Raul Silberio Trujillo, 38, Rodolfo Garay Jr., 37, Fernando Rojas, 50, and Robert Zackery Sebastia Hoyt, 26. The bus driver, a 48-year-old man from Vidor, and the Audi driver, a 28-year-old man from Rosharon, were also injured in the collision.
The crash scene prompted a massive emergency response as law enforcement, firefighters, and medical crews rushed to assist victims and secure the highway. Investigators continue working to determine exactly what caused the passenger van to cross into oncoming traffic. Authorities have not yet released additional conclusions regarding contributing factors as the investigation remains ongoing.
In a statement following the tragedy, LNG officials expressed condolences to the families affected and confirmed that the bus involved in the collision had been contracted through an EPC contractor and was empty at the time of impact. As the investigation continues, the Sabine Pass and Port Arthur communities remain united in grief, mourning the lives lost and hoping for healing for those still recovering from the devastating crash.